Evening light & a few thoughts
The glories of spring are in full swing around here, one day a mere bud and the next a flower. The timing couldn’t be better with Easter coming on Sunday. It seems that everything is in a hurry to bear witness!
Tonight I glanced outside and saw the setting sun illuminate the blossoms on our cherry tree. It was so white, so radiant, that I stood in awe for a moment.
The same light seemed to bathe our home in beauty as I walked from room to room. Simple objects were changed by the glow as they reflected the day’s last, intense rays.
I’ve been reading Sheri Dew’s new book, Amazed by Grace. I’m almost done (it’s very short) and have enjoyed it immensely. It’s been excellent preparation for General Conference and Easter. I suppose it’s also why the evening light struck me so powerfully tonight, illuminating simple things like cherry blossoms and glass vases in a way that made me realize how often Christ’s grace does that for my simple, meager efforts.
Other random things:
1. My office/sewing room is also our guest room. My to-do list has taken up residence there in the form of small piles I need to do various things with.
2. Eric and I went on our Friday night date at 3 pm today. It was the best time to get away with all our kids tend to have going on Friday nights, and also guaranteed that we’d be awake enough for intelligent conversation.
3. I put my pajamas on tonight before 6 pm. All I want to do is sleep (and hope I can knock this junk I’m fighting)!
4. As beautiful as spring is (and it certainly has been!) things are awfully brown. With so little moisture this winter, parts of our lawn are looking really bad. It made me unreasonably happy to turn on the sprinklers tonight!
5. I have a number of gifts I need/want to sew before the school year ends. I hope I can start over spring break.
The week has been a good lesson for me in remembering the difference between essential and necessary things. It’s Friday night and I find myself falling into the weekend like I fall into bed at the end of a long, hard, good day. Exhausted, relieved, wishing I’d accomplished more, hopeful for tomorrow, grateful it’s time to rest.