Rosewater + Gingham Quilt


My Rosewater + Gingham quilt is finished and in use around our house.  I quilted it very simply with straight lines in the ditch around all the seams.  It’s  a quilting style I haven’t used much, simple, but also needing great attention to detail to maintain straight lines.  To be honest, I’m not sure yet how much I like it, and yet I don’t dislike it either.


I chose a second gingham for the backing and it makes my heart sing.  It’s a lovely bright blue diagonal plaid print from Jane Sassaman, and I added a strip of my favorite Jennifer Paganelli floral.  I’ll be so sad when I run out of scraps of that print!


I used my scraps from the quilt top to make a scrappy binding that continues the theme of the quilt.  This was such a fun project, made entirely from stash by combining fabrics I already had in a way I never planned to do.  This was a fun but simple creative exercise for me.


It makes me wonder what other awesome fabric combinations are hiding in my sewing room because I simply haven’t taken the time to discover them yet.  I hope to devote more time to this sort of sewing in the future.


Relevant Post:  Rosewater + Gingham quilt top

Whimsy Christmas Lone Star Quilt


This is the most traditional lone star quilt I’ve made to date, with twelve lone star blocks set in three rows.  I love it so much.

Piecing these stars was a fun exercise in choosing fabrics, and it never bores me to see all the different combinations that can be created (even within a fabric collection) in these stars, depending on placement of color in different orders.

This quilt was also a good lesson for me in viewing distances.  Blocks that look like they have plenty of contrast up close, can end up reading very differently at a distance, as you can see when you compare the photo at top with the following photos of individual blocks.  In this project I didn’t have a particular goal, and there was no right or wrong; I merely wanted to experiment and see what happened.  I love learning lessons from fabrics as I sew!


Rather than choosing fabrics with small scale prints for obvious color contrast (like my sample block in the tutorial), I decided to use prints that were larger in scale and see how these more modern prints worked in the stars.  The resulting blocks are busier and sometimes more lacking in contrast (especially from a distance), but they also have a lot of personality up close.  I really like them.

As you can see above and below, the solids really stand out and define the star.  In the star above, I like how the stripe print creates a sort of spiral in the center star.


Choosing prints similar to your background fabric will cause that round in the star to recede, as you can see below.  I love how the center star and first round are so bold, and the others disappear a little.


Below you can see how the large scale swirl print creates lots of movement between the green center and the pink solid.


The green print in this block helps balance the craziness of the center star.


This block felt like a risk to me when I made it because I was combining so many busy prints with softer backgrounds, but when finished it was one of my favorites.



The outer points on the star below make me so happy.  I love how they stand out and the second and third rows recede.


Most of these fabrics are from the Whimsy Christmas fabric collection by Pillow & Maxfield from several years ago, with a few others added.  The pink dot background fabric is from Heather Bailey’s Nicey Jane collection, and this particular print was included in the reprint earlier this year.  The quilting was done by Melissa Kelley of Sew Shabby Quilting in an edge-to-edge vine pattern.


Each of these stars are made from two inch strips, pieced according to my instructions in my Lone Star Block Tutorial.   For more information about my lone star projects, visit my Lone Star page.


I made small stars at the posts in my sashing to break up the large negative space where the corners of four blocks join.  I chose a pink and red print which adds to the “traditional Christmas + pink” color scheme of this quilt.

My favorite Whimsy print was found in two colorways which I stitched together for the backing:


Each of these blocks measure 22″ square and the sashing/border is 1.5″, making the entire quilt approximately 72 by 96 inches.


I can’t wait to see my little girls snuggled under this beauty for the holidays.



Prosper in Solids {a finished quilt}


This quilt is a celebration of color!  Sometimes I enjoy making a second version of a quilt to find out what it will look like in a different style, and to teach myself to see potential beyond my first creative impulse, or my tried and true, “safe” fabric choices.  So my Prosper quilt became an experiment in solids.


I used color combinations that made me uncomfortable, and they ended up my favorite blocks.  I also used several different soft pastel colors for the backgrounds.  I like the subtle transition that comes with that choice, and again it was an attempt to challenge my usual design choices and try something different.


Melissa Kelley (Sew Shabby Quilting) quilted it for me with these awesome circles all over it and I’m thrilled with the outcome.  I was also excited to find that I had enough of the IKEA number fabric to use it on this quilt.  I’ve backed a lot of quilts with it over the years, but they have all been gifts and I’m happy to have it on the back of one that will stay here.


My handsome quilt holder wanted a photo too.  This is my 15 year old son who is also a good sport about holding quilts for me.


A black and white striped binding is the perfect finishing touch to this quilt, adding a touch of whimsy and framing the colors perfectly.  My favorite choice for binding.


I have enjoyed experimenting with this beautiful vintage quilt block.  What a blessing it is to make quilts!


Hope your day is fantastic!  Thanks for visiting.


1 2 3 426